I wanted to do my own unit on Community Helpers after last year, cause I wanted more condensed information to share with my kids. I also wanted to incorporate some non-fiction, similar to my animal units, so I came up with this huge packet full of activities to work on speech & language skills!
This has activities to target tons of goals! I targeted 9 people in the community: Police Officers, Firefighter, Veterinarian, Doctor, Teacher, Lawyer, Accountant, Chef, and Farmer. Here’s what’s included:
- 9 Occupation Vocabulary Cards
- 9 Occupation Location Vocabulary Cards
- 9 Nonfiction passage for each worker, all about that job
- Comprehension questions for each passage
- Tier 2 vocabulary word cards and definitions from each passage
- A graphic organizer for the vocabulary cards
- Describing graphic organizers for each person
- Open ended worksheet for each person that you can use to target anything…articulation, vocabulary, parts of speech, etc!
- Mini-book that students can label and color
- Writing and drawing page
- Writing prompt
- KWL chart you can use with the passages
- Worksheet for discussing good speech in each career
- Roll and cover pages for each helper
WHEW! I had so much fun making this packet and I can’t wait to see how my kids like it. I have already used the firefighter roll and cover during fire safety, and they loved that!