So I am a HUGE fan of Erik X. Raj…he is just fabulous, and his blog posts and apps never cease to make my day. I am so super excited to be able to review AND giveaway a copy of his latest app, Open-Ended Articulation!
Open-Ended Articulation targets 7 phonemes, including blends for /r, s, l/, with 550 open-ended questions included. This app targets students ages 6 and up, with speech and language disorders.
The main menu, as well as the rest of the app, is super easy to navigate. Just click the sound you want and go!
But if you want more information before you start, just press the i button in the bottom right corner, and up pops information about the app, procedures, and rules.
When you choose the phoneme you want from the main menu, then you can choose the position you want to target.
Then you get the prompt. An option to Hear The Sentence read to the student is on the bottom left and an option to hear Erik’s answer to the question is on the bottom right. From every page in the app, there is a home button for easy access back to the main page. You navigate through the questions with the Next and Back arrows at the top of the screen.
Each prompt features the appropriate sound, based on your chosen target. As you can see, each statement is followed up with a Why? to promote critical thinking skills. This type of questioning is great not just for students working on articulation, but also language goals.
What I love:
- Easy to use!
- The option to target phonemes in all positions.
- Inclusion of possible answer choices as a model.
- Ability to hear the sentence read for my students who struggle with decoding.
- Creativity that engages ALL of my students.
- I can target SO many goals with this app: articulation, fluency, voice, answering questions, critical thinking, sentence structure, etc.
- Works on iPad AND iPhone, iPad.
What I would like to see:
- The only option I wish was included was the ability to target two or more of the sounds at the same time for my students working on multiple errors. Not a big deal, but would still be cool!
Overall, I love it. I use it frequently and my kids think it’s hilarious…which makes them talk…which makes for tons of practice! Woot!
Open-Ended Articulation is currently available in the iTunes Store for only $4.99! But Erik wants give my readers a chance to win…BIG…
Grand Prize: A copy of ALL of Erik’s apps! Open-Ended Articulation, Multiple Choice Articulation, and I Dare You Articulation
2 Runner Ups will get a copy of Open-Ended Articulation
WOW! Enter the giveaway via the Rafflecopter below and good luck!
A free copy of this app was provided in exchange for this review. No other compensation provided. All opinions are mine.